I set out my view that once the basic needs of camp inhabitants are met, it is vital that the world makes every effort to cater for the needs of all humans for culture and creativity. More about my proposed charity can be read here. The basic aims are to:
- Encourage and facilitate international artists and relevant organisations to bring entertainment to refugee camps by organising concerts and workshops, with an initial focus on refugee camps dealing with the Syrian humanitarian crisis.
- Encourage genuine cross-cultural exchange by ensuring that concerts and workshops in camps include as far as possible, local artists and camp residents as well as international artists.
- Through the involvement of internationally famous artists, and educational organisations, raise awareness in donor countries of the suffering of refugee camp residents and about the conflicts from which they have fled.
- Raise money for its own services and also for “normal” humanitarian relief work in refugee camps.
- Organise a fund-raising and awareness-raising concert in the UK involving international artists to fund the first visit to a refugee camp.Boost the well-being of camp residents and help them cope with trauma by involvement in artistic expression, learning or entertainment.I am working with leading figures in the UK music industry on a possible series of gigs to raise funds for Syrian children in refugee camps. More details soon.